Kitchen Countertops

The countertops are finally done! When we were looking at options this summer, we discovered a new material called Dekton that we liked. Unfortunately, it’s really expensive and really heavy. So we decided to make our own countertops out of concrete, using this as our inspiration:



We poured the first countertop in October, and this month we finally got to the other four pieces.


After the concrete set, we took the countertops out of the molds and let them dry. Then we sanded them and filled in the holes and sanded again.



Once they were ready, we recruited some help from the neighbors to carry them into the house.


Unfortunately, the biggest one cracked when we picked it up, so we had to re-pour it. This time we reinforced it with rebar.


Next it was time to stain. This was my favorite part. We layered two different acid stains to get an industrial, rusted look to complement the hardware (the original handles, refinished) and lighting fixture. It doesn’t look like the Dekton, but I like how it turned out.


Finally, we did the piece around the sink.


Then we sealed and waxed them and replaced the faucet. (We did the staining, sealing, and plumbing all in one day–Christmas Eve–because we had company coming for dinner and needed a functional kitchen. We really should have let the stain dry for 24 hours first.)


I think it looks pretty cool! (Don’t mind the puppy pads in the laundry room; we were babysitting Luna. Oh, and Miss R was sick. And I was trying to cook Christmas dinner. It was a busy day.)


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s